Stored-product insects (SPI) have been associated with human activities since the dawn of time, and methods for detecting and controlling them have been reported for over a century. SPI refers to a wide range of insects, including:
- Biscuit beetle Stegobium paniceum
- Cigarette beetle Lasioderma serricorne
- Rust-red flour beetle Tribolium castaneum
- Merchant grain beetle Oryzaephilus mercator
- Saw-toothed grain beetle Oryzaephilus surinamensis
- Flat grain beetle Cryptolestes pusillus
- Grain weevil Sitophilus granarius
- Rice weevil Sitophilus oryzae
- Confused flour beetle Tribolium confusum
- Khapra beetle Trogoderma granarium
- Warehouse beetle Trogoderma variabile
- Flour mite Acarus siro
- Indian meal moth Plodia interpunctella
- Mediterranean flour moth Ephestia kuehniella
- Tropical warehouse moth Ephestia cautella
- Tobacco moth Ephestia elutella
- Angoumois grain moth Sitrotroga cerealella
The above-mentioned insects can infest a wide range of stored goods such as in food processing plants, warehouses, bakeries, stores, restaurants, mills, farms, and silos. So, why is it necessary to treat an area in order to get rid of them?
Stored product insects are a health risk in both private homes and commercial buildings. They can cause massive economic losses by causing food product damage and contamination. They contribute to the contamination of food products through the presence of live insects, insect products such as chemical excretions or silk, dead insects and insect body fragments, general infestation of buildings and other storage structures
- Live or dead insects (small beetles and moths), larvae, pupae or silken webbing on food storage bins on shelves.
- Infestation, holes, larvae or webbing on the outside of packets or bags.
- Larvae, pupae or silk webbing in food harbourages in cracks and crevices around shelves or on machinery.
- Larvae, pupae or silk webbing in food spillages.
- Larvae, pupae or silk webbing on beams and window sills.
- Indications of the pests in insects traps or rodent stations.
- Xlure MST ( Multi-Species Trap):
Try Xlure MST to get rid of insects that live in stored products like beetles and weevils. Xlure MST is one of PES Africa’s top insecticide-free and non-toxic products. It is a Multi-species trap for the most common crawling insects found in facilities along the food chain. It is designed to reduce the cost of monitoring a wide spectrum of species by containing multiple pheromones and attractants in one trap.
- XLURE RTU:
For a trap that targets Indian meal moths, Mediterranean flour moths, and Tropical warehouse moths, Use Xlure RTU. The Xlure RTU is a ready-to-use diamond trap containing nature identical pheromones for attracting stored product flying insects. Xlure RTU diamond traps can be used as part of comprehensive or simple monitoring programmes in food production and storage.
- XLURE Checkpoint:
The Xlure checkpoint provides an effective and long-lasting solution to moth infestations. It adds a strong visual attraction to the pheromone lure, giving an
extra edge in monitoring systems
Get rid of pesky stored-product insects. For more information on our excellent SPI traps, please visit our website at https://pesafrica.net or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for expert advice on which products will best meet your needs.